- bacon grease
- 5-7 lbs chuck roast
- 2 onions
- 2 carrots
- 2 celery stalks
- preheat oven to 325 F
- brown roast in frying pan w/ bacon grease
- add thinly sliced onions (using one onion) to roasting pan
- place browned roast over onions
- add some water to the frying pan, heat to loosen the browned bits of goodness, add to roasting pan
- cover pan & roast 1 hour
- admire the roast, maybe flip it
- add remaining onions, carrots, celery & potatoes (cut your favorite way)
- roast another hour
- cook to temperature 10 degrees less than preferred doneness
- remove roast & veggies, keep warm somehow
- make gravy
- Rare: 115 to 120°F.
- Medium-Rare: 120 to 125°F.
- Medium: 130 to 135°F.
- Medium-Well: 140 to 145°F