Lemon ricotta cake
- 1/2 cup or 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 cup plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup ricotta
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup mascarpone
- mascarpone substitute (
- 1 16 oz block of cream cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- Blend until smooth
- powdered sugar
- fresh raspberries
- Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced. Grease an 8-inch round cake tin with butter and line the bottom with parchment or baking paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, add butter, sugar and vanilla and beat with an electric mixer until pale and creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, and beat until combined.
- Add lemon juice, lemon zest, flour, baking powder and ricotta and beat on a low speed. Add milk and beat briefly until combined. Cake batter may be lumpy and curdled but this is totally fine.
- Pour batter into prepared cake pan and place in the oven for approximately 30-35 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. Leave cake to cool completely in cake pan.
- Add cream and mascarpone to a mixing bowl and beat using an electric mixer for a couple of minutes or until thickened.
- To serve, dust cake with powdered sugar. Cut into small slices and serve with mascarpone cream and fresh raspberries.