Smoked Rib Roast
- rib roast, at least 3 ribs
- dried or fresh rosemary (I grow a variety called BBQ rosemary which works great for this recipe)
- Cut slits in the top of the roast and insert a clove of garlic and (if you have fresh rosemary) a sprig of rosemary in each.
- Combine salt, pepper (and finely crumbled dried rosemary if that's all you have). Rub over the top of the roast wrap it or bag it and refrigerate 6 hours.
- Preheat smoker and keep it in the range of 200F-211F.
- Place roast over water pan on top grate.
- Add wood chunk and another after 45 minutes.
- Cook for 3 to 4 hours until 120F @ middle rib and 130F to 140F @ outer ribs.
- Remove and sear over hot coals.
- Remove to a pan suitable to collect juices and rest under foil tent for 30 minutes.
- Slice to serve.
- Serve with au-jus.
I always buy at a rib roast with at least 3 ribs. I try to keep the middle rib rare while the two outer ribs are medium rare.