Lemon Meringue Pie
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups water
- 2 lemons, juiced and zested (use large, not jumbo)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- 5 large egg whites
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Pinch fine salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 pie crust
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- To make the filling: Whisk 1 cup sugar, flour, cornstarch, and salt together in a medium saucepan; stir in water, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until mixture comes to a boil. Stir in butter.
- Place egg yolks in a small bowl and gradually whisk in 1/2 cup of hot sugar mixture. Whisk egg yolk mixture back into remaining sugar mixture. Bring to a boil and continue to cook while stirring constantly until thick. Remove from heat; pour filling into baked pastry shell.
- To make the meringue: Beat egg whites in a glass, metal, or ceramic bowl until foamy. Gradually add sugar, continuing to beat until stiff peaks form. Spread meringue over pie filling, sealing the edges at the crust.
- Bake in preheated oven until meringue is golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- pre-bake the lard crust 20 minutes
- do not over beat the meringue or it will shrink