Chicken, Sausage, and Shrimp Gumbo
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 4 large onions, chopped (about 4 cups)
- 3 red bell peppers, seeded, chopped (about 4 cups)
- 8 celery stalks, chopped (about 4 cups)
- 1 garlic bulb, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh thyme
- 6 bay leaves
- 1 Tbs sassafras
- 2 28-ounce cans diced tomatoes with juice
- 4 cups clam juice
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 pounds Andouille sausage, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 pound Kielbasa, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 3 pounds skinless boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 16-ounce packages sliced frozen okra
- 2 pounds peeled deveined medium shrimp
- Minced fresh Italian parsley
- Steamed rice
- Heat oil in heavy 13-quart pot over medium-high heat until very hot and almost smoking. Add flour and stir constantly until mixture is dark reddish brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add chopped onions, bell peppers, and celery and cook until onions are soft, stirring frequently, about 20 minutes.
- Add garlic, sassafras, thyme, and bay leaves; bring to boil, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomatoes with juice, clam juice, broth, sausage, and chicken; simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 15 minutes.
- Add okra and simmer until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Chill uncovered until cold, then cover and keep chilled overnight.
- Bring to a boil. Add shrimp and cook shrimp until just opaque in center, stirring often, about 5 minutes.
- Put a cup of cooked rice in a bowl, cover with Gumbo and garnish with minced parsley.