- 1 3/4 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1 1/4 cups lukewarm milk
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly grease a 9" square or round pan (a cast-iron skillet will work fine, too), shallow 1 1/2 quart casserole dish, or 12 muffin cups.
- Add flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix.
- In a large measuring cup, whisk together the milk, melted butter, vegetable oil, and egg.
- Pour the liquid all at once into the flour mixture, stirring quickly and gently until just combined. Don't over mix: stir the batter just enough to bring it together and evenly moisten the ingredients.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan, or scoop into the muffin tin.
- Bake the bread for 18 to 25 minutes, until the edges just begin to pull away from the pan and a cake tester or paring knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove the bread from the oven and cool it on a rack for 5 minutes before cutting; serve warm.
- Store any leftovers, well wrapped, at cool room temperature for a few days; freeze for longer storage.
- If you like a crispier crust on your cornbread, grease a cast-iron pan and place it in the oven for 10 minutes to heat. Scoop the batter into the hot pan and return it to the oven to bake as directed. Check on the cornbread after 15 minutes.