Pie Crust w/ Lard
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 cup lard
- 3 to 4 tablespoons cold water
- In a bowl, combine flour and salt.
- Cut in lard until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle in water, a tablespoon at a time, until pastry holds together.
- Shape into a ball; chill for 30 minutes (no longer than 30 minutes or you will need to wait for it to warm back up and it might get dry)
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/8-in. thickness. I don't even worry about thickness. I just compare the pie pan with what I have rolled out and when it fits I use it. I waste about 1/4 of the dough when I cut off the edges.
- Transfer to a 10-in. pie plate.
- Flute edges
- fill and bake as pie recipe directs.
- Excellent. I doubled the recipe for 2 deep dish 10" pies. It was a tad short, barely enough for pans. I pre-baked 10 min @ 400. After allowing the crust to cool I added the pumpkin mix. The pumpkin pie filling was wet I baked for 20 min @ 425, then 45 min @ 350. Even with the pre-bake and long cooking time, the crust was golden. The family said this was best ever pumpkin pie crust crust