roasted sweet potatoes
- 4 pounds red-skinned sweet potatoes (yams), peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2/3 cup packed golden brown sugar
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pinch of ground ginger
- 2 cups miniature or regular marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Arrange potatoes in 13 x 9 x 2-inch glass or foil baking dish.
- Combine sugar, butter, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg and ginger in heavy small saucepan over medium heat.
- Bring to boil, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Pour over potatoes; toss to coat. Cover dish tightly with foil.
- Bake potatoes 50 minutes.
- Uncover; bake until potatoes are tender and syrup thickens slightly, basting occasionally, about 20 minutes.
- Increase oven temperature to 500°F. Top potatoes with marshmallows.
- Return to oven; bake until marshmallows begin to melt and nuts begin to brown, about 3 minutes.