Grilled Leg of Lamb
- 1 1/2 garlic bulbs
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbs safflower oil
- 1 large orange
- 1/8 cup fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup fresh rosemary
- 1 (6 1/2- to 7-lb) bone-in leg of lamb, trimmed of all but a layer of fat
- Peerl orange. Save orange peels. Add orange plus all rub ingredients to food processor a blend. Rub rub all over the lamb. Put lamb and orange peels in a plasic bag at room temberature for 4 hours.
- Prepare grill for indirect-heat cooking over medium-hot charcoal.
- Grill lamb over area with no coals without turning, until thermometer inserted into thickest part of roast (almost to the bone but not touching it) registers 125u00b0F for medium-rare, 1 to 1 1/2 hours (temperatures in thinner parts of leg may register up to 160u00b0F). To maintain medium-hot charcoal, add more charcoal (about 2 cups) every 20 minutes. Optional: add cherry smoking wood chips while grilling.
- Let lamb stand on a cutting board, uncovered, 10 minutes.