- One Whole Turkey
- celery, onion, carrots
- 1/2 cup water
- clean turkey, inside and out.
- stuff with herbs, onion, celery, carrots
- butter the outside
- preheat oven to 500
- Place turkey in roasting pan with water, cook uncovered 20 to 40 minutes or until brown. This will start the outside cooking and help make the turkey skin brown and crispy when finished. Expect some sizzling but don't let it get too brown.
- Turn down oven to 325.
- Cover and cook for an additional time (see chart below for estimates) until temperature reaches 155 breast or 160 thigh.
- Remove lid, broil at 500 until nicely brown. Can place tin foil over areas that get brown first to ensure bird is evenly browned.
- Temperature should be 160/165 by now.
- Remove from oven and let sit uncovered for 15 minutes before carving. Temperature will reach 165/170 while cooling. This is the minimum for organic or farm fresh turkey, otherwise you might shoot for 170/175 if you are nervous about bacteria in a grocery store turkey.
- 1 cup salt, 2 gallons water, whatever other goop you desire
- gravy will turn out too salty
- will cook 20 to 30 minutes faster
cooking time at 325
- These are estimates, go by the temperature not the time.
- 12-14 lbs cook 2 3/4 to 3 1/4 hours
- 15-16 lbs cook 3 1/4 to 3 1/2 hours
- 17-20 lbs cook 3 1/2 to 4 hours
- 21-22 lbs cook 4 1/4 to 4 1/2 hours
- 23-24 lbs cook 4 1/2 to 4 3/4 hours
- Estimate 1.5 pounds per person with no leftovers.
- 2019 I'm going with 3 lbs * 6 people = 18 lbs