- pie dough for two crusts (upper & lower)
- 5 to 6 cups peeled and sliced fresh peaches (see tip). One medium peach is about 1 cup.
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, or as desired
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, nutmeg, or cardamom, optional
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, optional
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch, potato starch, or flour
- Preheat the oven to 350u00b0F.
- In a large bowl, toss the peaches with the lemon juice, sugars (& spices and/or vanilla, as desired). Let sit for an hour or 6.
- Roll out the pie dough and place the bottom crust in the pie pan.
- Add the thickener of your choice and stir to coat the peaches.
- Pour the peaches into the piecrust.
- Add the top crust and make slits for the steam to escape.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbling. You might need to carefully broil for a few minutes to get that perfect golden brown.
- You can peel the peaches as they are, or blanch them in hot water for 30 to 40 seconds, then put them in a bowl of cold water to cool before peeling.