- 3 pounds ground beef, 80% lean
- 1 pound ground pork
- 2 large onions
- 8 large eggs
- 4 cups bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 bulb garlic
- 2 cans tomato sauce
- 2 cans stewed tomatos
- 4 pounds mushrooms (optional)
- 2 Tbs fresh or 1/2 Tbs dried thyme
- 2 Tbs fresh or 1/2 Tbs dried basil
- 1/2 Tbs fresh or 1/8 Tbs dried oregano
- Add stewed tomatoes and tomato sauce to a large pot. Dice the mushrooms and add to the pot. Add the herbs. Simmer all day.
- Using a food processor grind the onions. Mix the ground meat, eggs and onions in a large bowl. Add the bread crumbs and mix well. Add oil to a large frying pan. Make about 8 meatballs and start cooking in the frying pan at medium heat. Turn the meatballs at least once, hopefully more depending on if they are not falling apart. When finished cooking, remove and place in a large deep baking sheet (preferably use a wire rack in the baking sheet to keep the meatballs from sitting in the grease) . Fry all the meatballs and continue to pile them up on the baking sheet.
- Bake the finished meatballs in the oven at 250 degrees for 1 to 3 hours. The drier they get the better they will taste.
- Turn off the sauce and add the meatballs from the oven. They will soak up the sauce and become juicy and tender.
- Serve over pasta. Best served with salad, crusty bread or crusty rolls, red wine, and chocolate cake and expresso for desert.
- Freeze leftover meatballs and sauce in individual meal sized containers.