Chicken and Dumplings - 4 meals in one
- whole chickens
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup schmaltz
- 1/2 cup heavy creme
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
- Also look at our buttermilk dumpling recipe, using buttermilk and eggs.
- Bake chickens unstuffed, eat them as meal #1.
- pick remaining chicken, save meat in refrigerator.
- put chicken bones in a big pot with some salt, boil lightly for 1 hour
- remove the bones and strain the broth. When the broth separates, save the schmaltz (chicken fat) for the dumplings.
- add potatoes to broth, boil lightly for 20 minutes
- add onions, celery, and carrots and boil lightly 15 minutes
- add chicken meat and boil lightly 5 minutes.
- eat the soup as meal #2.
- scoop out mostly the solid soup material and place in a broiler. Make sure it is just covered by liquid. Freeze the rest of the soup for another day meal #4.
- bake for 30 minutes at 450F.
- mix up all the dumpling ingredients.
- add the dumpling mixture and bake another 20 minutes.
- serve hot meal #3