Gooey Peanut Butter Cookies
- u00bd cup granulated sugar
- u00bd cup packed brown sugar
- u00bd cup peanut butter
- u00bc cup shortening
- u00bc cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1u00bc cups all-purpose flour
- u00be teaspoon baking soda
- u00bd teaspoon baking powder
- u00bc teaspoon salt
For the gooey center
- u00bd cup creamy peanut butter
- u00bd cup powdered sugar
For the topping
- u00bc cup peanuts, finely chopped
- u00bc cup granulated sugar
- u00bd teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Make the cookie dough: In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine sugars, peanut butter, shortening, butter and egg. Stir in the dry ingredients. Roll into a log shape, wrap with plastic film and refrigerate about 2 hours or until firm.
- Heat oven to 375u00baF.
- Make the topping: In small bowl, mix chopped peanuts, granulated sugar and cinnamon; set aside.
- Make the filling: In another small bowl, stir the peanut butter and powdered sugar until completely blended. (A silicone spatula works well here.) Roll the mixture into 24 1-inch balls.
- Assemble the cookies: Cut roll of cookie dough into 12 slices. Cut each slice in half crosswise to make 24 pieces; flatten slightly. Shape a piece of cookie dough around a peanut butter ball, covering completely. (This will likely involve a lot of pinching, smoothing, tucking and rolling. Itu2019ll be worth it, I promise.) Repeat with remaining dough and balls.
- Roll each dough-covered ball in the peanut mixture; gently pat mixture onto balls. On ungreased large cookie sheets, place balls 2 inches apart. Spray bottom of drinking glass with nonstick cooking spray; press into remaining peanut mixture. Flatten each ball to u00bd-inch thickness with bottom of glass.
- Sprinkle any remaining peanut mixture evenly on tops of cookies; gently press into dough.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Cool 1 minute; remove from cookie sheets to cooling rack. Store tightly covered.